Lemon Chia Seed Water is a delicious natural energy drink. It's hydrating, refreshing, and a great boost for your energy levels.
As a runner, I always look for ideas, recipes, meals and tips on how I can fuel my body better to be able to run faster and recover well.
Chia seeds are bursting with nutrients like calcium, magnesium, Omega-3 fatty acids, and plant protein, so I try to incorporate them into my diet every day.
With chia seeds, a little goes a long way, so if you have never used them or don't know how, perhaps try my Easy Chia Pudding as a great alternative to your porridge in the morning.
What Is Chia Fresca?
Chia Fresca, also known as "iskiate" (Is-kee-ah-tay)was invented by the Native South American Tarahumara tribe to fuel their long-distance runs. Apparently, they would carry dry chia seeds on their 24-hour runs to keep them going, or they would drink "Chia Fresca".
Lemon chia water is made by mixing a large glass of water, one teaspoon of chia seeds, some lemon juice and a natural sweetener. The taste is very pleasant and refreshing.
This is basically a natural energy drink or an energy gel. And it really gives those shop-bought energy gels a run for their money.
Ingredients for Chia Lemon Water
- Chia Seeds - You only need couple of tablespoons
- Lemon - Lemon or Lime, they both work well
- Maple Syrup - You can use any type of sweetener. You can also omit the sweetener if you prefer to have it unsweetened.
- Water - Normal tap water works fine, but to make it extra energising you could use coconut water instead.
How To Make Chia and Lemon Water
- Mix all the ingredients together in a jug or water bottle
- Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes and then stir again. You don't want any clumps, so give it a good stir
- Let cool in the fridge for minimum 2-3 hours and give it a final stir just before drinking
Chia Water with Lemon Variations
- Coconut Water - If you're not a fan of plain water, or you just want maximum hydration, use coconut water instead
- Add fruit - I love adding different fruits. It makes it pretty but also changes the flavour up a bit
- Add fresh herbs - Mint, basil, or any other fresh herb would work really well
- Add spices - Cinnamon, ginger or pinch of turmeric
- Add salt - I love adding a pinch of pink Himalayan salt for extra minerals and electrolytes
More Healthy & Easy Drinks to Try:
- Cucumber Lemonade
- Fruit Infused Water (3 Ways)
- Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- Easy Green Smoothie Recipe
- Berry Jelly Smoothie Recipe
Lemon Chia Seed Water
A refreshing, nutrient-dense drink that is easy to make and will leave you energized!
- 3 cups water (750ml)
- 3 tablespoon chia seeds
- Juice from ½ - 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients together in a jug or water bottle.
- Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes and then stir again. You don't want any clumps, so give it a good stir.
- Let cool in the fridge for a minimum of 2-3 hours and give it a final stir before drinking.
You can use coconut water instead of plain water or add a splash of your favourite fruit juice
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 190Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 91mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 7gSugar: 21gProtein: 4g
Please keep in mind that the nutritional information is calculated using a nutrition facts calculator. It is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts. Also if you want more healthy recipes, check out my Youtube channel. Loads of fabulous and easy recipes waiting for you there.