You know when I said I don’t really like kale? Well, I do now, but only in my sweet potato kale mash recipe! This is the ultimate healthy, comfort food!Sweet potatoes and kale – healthy eating doesn’t get healthier than this, so if you are giving January a healthy kick then this sweet potato kale mash is IT if you need a tasty, nourishing, filling main or side dish.In this recipe I am gently frying the kale with onions, but you can use steamed kale instead. You can simply use a steamer for around 10 minutes or until tender, or place the kale in boiling water, cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until soft. Make sure you drain it well before adding to the mash.
Here’s the sweet potato kale mash recipe
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 clove garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 big handfuls of kale, washed and chopped up roughly
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ⅓ almond milk (or any other milk of your choice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start with boiling some water in a pot. Peel and chop your sweet potatoes into large cubes. Throw them into the pot, add a sprinkle of salt and boil until soft.
- While the potatoes are boiling, heat up the diced onion in a pan until slightly brown. Add the chopped kale and fry until wilted. If it starts to burn, add a splash of water.
- Drain the potatoes, add the almond milk and start to mash the potatoes. Once you're happy with the texture, add in the cooked kale and onion mixture. Taste, adjust seasoning and enjoy while nice and warm.
As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook,Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts