Today I am trying something new. I am making Amaranth muffins with Aronia Berries. These muffins are bursting with protein, fibre and minerals and they taste so so so nice.
When Erbology approached me to try their Amaranth flour and Aronia Berries I got very excited and immediately said yes. I love trying new things and always challenge myself to come up with tasty and easy recipes. This is where these Amaranth Muffins with Aronia Berries come in.
What is Amaranth flour?
Amaranth is a unique plant and a powerhouse of fibre, protein and other nutrients. It's naturally gluten free and has a lovely nutty flavour. It contains all 9 essential amino acids including lysine, an essential amino acid which is lacking in most plants. Amaranth is not a new "trendy" food. It has been around for centuries. It's nature's superfood. In this recipe I combined the amaranth flour with spelt flour to give it a lighter texture.
What are Aronia Berries?
They are deep purple berries loaded with vitamin K, C, manganese and other amazing nutrients. They are mostly known for their anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antioxidant health benefits. They have mild sweet flavour with a bit of tartness.
These muffins are packed with wholesome nutrition… and they taste lovely too, so they give you the best of both worlds!
If you whip up a big batch at the weekend, the extra muffins can easily be frozen for meal prep, to have on hand any time a craving hits.Try serving them with my Pumpkin Spice Latte or this Dalgona Coffee. Also if you are looking for a good muffin tins, these ones are the one I use.
Here is the Amaranth muffins with Aronia berries recipe
- 1 cup Erbology Amaranth flour
- ½ cup whole wheat Spelt flour
- ½ cup Erbology Aronia berries
- ½ cup almonds, roughly chopped (I used Erbology Sicilian Almonds)
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 flaxseed egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoon water mixed together, let it sit for 10 minutes)
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1,5 teaspoon baking powder
- 0,5 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease your muffin tins with a bit of coconut oil
- In a bowl, mix together the amaranth flour, spelt flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, flax seed egg, vanilla extract, coconut oil and maple syrup. Next tip the flour mixture into the liquid mixture.
- Stir few times, but don't overmix it. Fold in the Aronia berries and the almonds.
- Divide the batter equally between your muffin tins and pop in the oven for 20 -30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
If you want to try more muffin recipes, check out my Blueberry Muffins, Almond and Banana Muffins, or super delicious Apple Muffins.