These chewy vegan oatmeal peanut butter cookies are the perfect recipe for a grab-n-go breakfast or healthy snack. They're naturally gluten-free, refined-sugar free, and super simple to make. And of course, they're delicious too!
Two of my favourite ingredients are peanut butter and oats. I can't tell you how many recipes I've created starring these versatile ingredients - they just seem to go well with everything!
I'm always looking for new ways to make healthier versions of traditional recipes, and cookies are top of the list when it comes to weekend baking.
I wanted to create delicious, chewy, vegan oatmeal cookies that taste great, don't require any fancy ingredients, and are super simple to make. And, you guys, I think I nailed this one!
The ingredients used in these simple vegan oatmeal peanut butter cookies are nutritious and full of healthy fats, fiber, vitamins and antioxidants. Thanks to the peanut butter, there’s also no need to use any additional oil or butter.
Ingredients for Easy Vegan Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
These cookies require only a handful of simple ingredients and will be ready to eat in no time!
- Peanut Butter - Make sure you use only 100% peanut butter with nothing added and that the peanut butter is runny. You could use almond butter, cashew butter or your favourite seed butter instead.
- Oats - Simple porridge/rolled oats are perfect. If you want these cookies to be gluten-free, use certified GF oats.
- Maple Syrup - I love maple syrup, but you could also make these oat peanut butter cookies with any other sweetener you have on hand.
- Flaxseed Egg - Add 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds with 3 tablespoons of water. Mix and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Cinnamon - A pinch of cinnamon makes the cookies extra delicious.
- Baking Powder - To help them rise a little.
How to Make Oatmeal Peanut Butter Vegan Cookies
STEP 1: Preheat your oven to 180C / 355F and line a baking tray with baking paper.
STEP 2: Mix oats with baking powder and cinnamon.
STEP 3: Now add in the flaxseed egg, peanut butter and maple syrup.
STEP 4: Stir well to ensure all the oats are moist and well coated.
STEP 5: Roll the dough into equal size balls, and press to flatten on the baking paper, leaving enough space between them to expand as they cook.
STEP 6: Bake in the oven for eight to ten minutes or until slightly brown.
STEP 7: Once cooked, turn off the oven, but leave the cookies in there, with the door slightly ajar, for another 5-10 minutes to allow them to set properly.
Tips for making gluten-free vegan peanut butter cookies
- You’ll need to roll the dough with your hands. So that the batter doesn't stick too much, make sure you wet your hands a little first.
- To achieve equal cookie sizes you can use a spoon or ice cream scoop.
- If you don't have flaxseed, you can also use a chia egg (same measurements of seeds vs water), or ¼ cup applesauce instead.
- Make sure you use 100% pure peanut butter, without any added oils or salt. We like to use organic, but this isn't absolutely necessary. We also used smooth peanut butter, but you can use crunchy to mix things up a bit!
- Feel free to double the recipe to make a bigger batch.
Can you make vegan peanut butter oat cookies ahead of time?
Yes! You can either make the cookies a few days ahead of time, or make the batter and freeze it to cook later.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4-5 days
- Freeze cookie dough (already rolled into balls) in an airtight container or ziplock bag for up to 3 months. Once ready to cook, just pop them in the oven and add a few minutes to your cooking time.
Other vegan peanut butter recipes to try:
- Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- Baked Peanut Butter Falafels
- Peanut Butter Hummus
- Healthy Raw Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Raw Peanut Butter and Banana Cake
- Peanut Butter Banana Ice Lollies
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- ½ cup oats (GF if required)
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds + 3 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 355F and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix oats with baking powder and cinnamoon.
- Next, add in the flaxseed egg, peanut butter and maple syrup.
- Stir well to ensure all oats are moist and well coated.
- Roll the dough into equal-sized balls, and press to flatten on the baking paper.
- Bake in the oven for eight to ten minutes or until slightly brown.
- Then turn off the oven and let them sit for another 5-10 minutes before removing them.
- Let them cool completely before handling them.
Make sure to use 100% peanut butter with no added oils or salt.
Use chia seeds instead of flaxseed to make your vegan egg. Or sub out for ¼ cup applesauce instead.
As always please, if you make this recipe share it with me either on my Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. I would love to see it! Hashtag #HediHearts. Also if you want more healthy recipes, check out my Youtube channel. Loads of fabulous and easy recipes waiting for you there.